The pure essences of aromatic plants have been prized for thousands of pf years for their health-giving properties and heady scents. Discover the ancient art of aromatherapy, refined over the centuries, and learn how to harness the therapeutic powers of essential oils in a relaxing, restorative massage that combines the sense of smell with the healing value of touch. Use the beneficial properties of the oils to combat common ailments, promote good health and emotional wellbeing, and to enhance every aspect of your life. These potent, volatile essences are nature’s gift to mind and body.
The vital element in any Aromatherapy massage is the pure essential oil. These oils are very different from the heavy oils we use for cooking; they are concentrated essences, much lighter than water. They evaporate quickly, so they are usually mixed with other ingredients to trap their effectiveness. Because they are so concentrated, essential oils are measured in drops.
My most frequently used and favourite oils are:
- Eucalyptus, particularly helpful for asthma, flu, sinusitis, rheumatism and sores. It has a cooling effect on body temperature and also is a great remedy for muscular aches and pains.
- Geranium, unusually it is both sedative and uplifting and so invaluable for treating nervous tension and depression. Also good for circulatory problems.
- Lavender, It’s sedative and tonic effects make Levander a great balancer of the nervous and emotional systems. Excellent for migraines. Extraordinarily versatile.
- Neroli, An excellent sedative and antidepressant, neroli counters anxiety, and combats insomnia. It is helpful for dermatitis and dry skin, pre-menstrual tension and menopausal problems.
- Patchouli, It is great for scalp and skin conditions including, acne, eczema, dandruff, and scars. It has uplifting effects and can help alleviate fluid retention
- Ylang-Ylang, A great relaxer and highly recommended for anxiety and insomnia. It also has benefits of treating high blood pressure and skin conditions.
An Aromatherapy massage using essential oils is a therapeutic treatment for both mind and body which works mainly on the nervous system. Aromatherapy is both holistic and practical in that it helps to protect the body’s life -saving the immune system and reenergize or stabilize emotions.